Siesta
Each day, around the noon hour, was something that we called "Siesta". This is really a Spanish term, but much of the Filipino language and culture has hints of Hispania.
Siesta began after lunch.
Siesta was a strangely reverent time. In fact, I wonder if it is one of the most spiritual things a person can be a part of. During this part of the day, the heat would be radiating outside - a kind of lulling heat. The Secadas would be putting out their best efforts in a kind of throbbing lullaby. Everything would be silenced - even the animals. You hardly even spoke over a soft whisper in your own home.
During this time of the day, I would begin to feel this warm lonliness. This was when I would dream. I would dream about the kind of woman that I would grow up to be, the career that I would have, what my husband would be like, where I would live.
It was also during this time that I would think about God. I would wonder what He was doing. Was He resting too? Did Heaven have Siesta? Was there a time each day that the angels wings would be still, the harps would be silenced, and the radience of the Face of God would cause everyone's cheeks to glow? What was God doing? Was He thinking about me?
Somehow, during siesta, I felt closest to God. Like He was in the room with me. I knew that He was thinking of me, and they were nice thoughts.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home